About Me

My photo
I'm an ardent reader, poet, tech-savvy, explorer, history buff, and an aficionado of great cinema who enjoy chronicling life's wonders with a poet's heart and a profound love for humanity.

Sunday, September 8, 2024

A 55-meter kick, a lion’s heart, and the roar that shook Kandy

 

As I sat glued to the screen, watching the live telecast of the Bradby Shield second leg, I could feel my pulse quicken with every passing minute. Though I wasn’t physically in Kandy, the energy, the spirit, and the weight of tradition reverberated through the screen, filling my living room with the essence of what it means to be a Trinitian.

 

This year, the Bradby Shield had an even deeper significance. We had won the first leg in Colombo, but that didn’t guarantee us victory. The Bradby has always been about more than a single match—it’s a test of perseverance, resilience, and the soul of the team. Trinity and Royal, battling it out for decades, both schools steeped in a rivalry that has become legendary. The origins of this epic encounter go back to 1945, when the shield was introduced by Royal’s Principal E.L. Bradby, marking the start of a new chapter in Sri Lankan rugby.


As the game kicked off in Kandy, I found myself on the edge of my seat, my heart beating in time with the plays on the field. The excitement of the first leg win coursed through me, but I knew the second leg was crucial. Every Trinitian knows that no Bradby victory is ever truly secure until the final whistle.



The match was intense, with both teams giving it their all. Royal, having come close to reclaiming the shield, fought fiercely, and for a time, it felt like they might pull ahead. The pressure was suffocating. Each pass, each run, each scrum seemed like a battle within itself. Yet, it was our boys who held their ground, refusing to let the shield slip away.

 

And then, the moment came. It was almost surreal. Trinity was awarded a penalty—55 meters from the posts, a near-impossible distance. Shan Althaf, our fly-half, stood ready. The commentators whispered in disbelief. A 55-meter penalty kick? With only moments left on the clock? But deep down, I knew. Every Trinitian watching knew. Shan wasn’t just playing a game; he was defending a legacy.



Time seemed to stretch as Shan took his place, eyes focused, unwavering. The whistle blew. The ball soared, almost in slow motion, cutting through the Kandy sky. I held my breath as it arced perfectly between the posts. It was a kick that defied logic, one that sealed the fate of the match and ensured our victory. In that instant, I erupted in joy, as if I were in the stands myself, screaming alongside thousands of proud Trinitians.

 

Shan Althaf had done it. With that one kick, he secured the Bradby for us. His name will be forever etched in the annals of Trinity’s rugby history. Through a live stream, from miles away, I felt the rush of triumph as strongly as if I had been standing at Pallekele myself.

 

As the final whistle echoed through the stadium and the screen, an overwhelming pride surged through me. Fifty-two Bradby Shields, each with its own story, but this one will remain special. Not just because of the incredible effort from our boys, but because of the heart, the grit, and the unforgettable final moments that will be retold for years to come.


Though I wasn’t in Kandy physically, my heart was there on the field, among the boys who fought for our legacy. We are Trinitians, bound by more than geography. We are connected by tradition, by our unwavering spirit, and by moments like these—when the roar of the lion is heard even across screens, and pride swells in every one of us. Today, I couldn’t be prouder to be a Trinitian.




 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

A Review of S.L.M. Hanifa’s "The Meccan Shawl" (மக்கத்துச் சால்வை)

Translated from Tamil by Professor Asokan, Pasmila Raviraj, and Professor Sivasegaram Introduction: The translation of S.L.M. Hanifa’s sho...